Michelangelo Exhibition opens January 17
Michelangelo: Sacred and Profane Masterpiece Drawings from the Casa Buonarroti
Phoenix Art Museum
Lila and Joel Harnett Gallery
January 17 – March 27
Twenty-six rare drawings from the renowned collection of the Casa Buonarroti in Florence, Italy, comprise one of the most important Michelangelo exhibitions in America in nearly three decades. The Casa Buonarroti, once owned by the artist, is the world’s largest repository for Michelangelo’s drawings, architectural studies, and memoirs.
The images in Sacred and Profane are memorable figurative studies and architectural drawings by the hand of Michelangelo. Included is one of Michelangelo’s most admired and complete drawings, the large Madonna and Child. Additional images include preparatory drawings for later paintings. The Head of the Madonna is a study for his painting Doni Tondo, and the sublime sketch of the Head of Leda was made for Leda and the Swan, a painting now lost and known today only through copies.
A renowned sculptor and painter in his own time, Michelangelo’s legacy as an architect was no less monumental. Highlighted in the exhibition are several of his innovative architectural plans. Among them are drawings for the Facade of San Lorenzo in Florence, and his innovative Plan for the Church of San Giovanni dei Fiorentini in Rome. These works help demonstrate Michelangelo’s lasting influence on architecture, and scholar Adriano Marinazzo considers these designs to be “among the most fascinating architectural projects of the entire Renaissance.”
This exhibition is an exceptional opportunity for the Phoenix community and the state of Arizona, as Michelangelo’s works rarely travel outside of Italy.
News articles include information on artists or works and are updated throughout the year.
Check back regularly for updates, or subscribe to our RSS News feed.
- Sheila Pepe: Hot Mess Formalism | Opens October 14
- Patricia Sannit and 2016 CF Artists Grants Winners Exhibition | Closing Sept 17
- Patricia Sannit and 2016 CF Artists Grants Winners Exhibition now on view
- CF Announces 2017 Award Recipients
- CF Summer Film Festival: Why Can’t We Live Together?
- PARTY ARTY | Friday, June 16
- The Propeller Group | Last days | Closes May 14
- Kehinde Wiley exhibition enjoys record attendance
- Martin Creed – Half the Air in a Given Space ends its run
- Kehinde Wiley Film Series