Contemporary Forum Artists’ Grants
Contemporary Forum, a support group of Phoenix Art Museum, is accepting applications from emerging Arizona artists for its annual Artists’ Grants competition. The selection committee will award up to five grants of $2,000 each. The grants are intended to provide recognition and financial support for emerging professional artists focused on establishing their careers. A panel of qualified judges will select the recipients.
Who is an Emerging Artist?
- Individuals who have recently completed degree programs.
- Artists whose work has been shown in Arizona but not extensively outside of the state.
- Individuals returning to art after a hiatus.
- Artists must be Arizona residents.
- Artwork must have been produced within the last two years.
- Artists may not be enrolled in a college degree program.
- Previous recipients of the Artists’ Grants are ineligible.
- Artist name, street address, email address, and telephone number
- Artist statement (optional; 150 words or less)
- Description of work (title, date, medium, dimensions)
- Three JPEGS or three videos (not to exceed three minutes each) of submitted artwork
Note: Videos exceeding three minutes will not be accepted.
Arlene and Morton Scult
Contemporary Forum Artist Award
The Arlene and Morton Scult Contemporary Forum Artist Award is presented annually to a mid-career artist to be used for the further development in the field of art. Nominations for the Arlene and Morton Scult Contemporary Forum Artist Award are selected by a state-wide pool of art professionals and curators. The winner receives a $5,000 cash award, and their work will be exhibited at Phoenix Art Museum the following year.
The artist is chosen from a pool of eligible candidates:
- Whose work demonstrates a sustained degree of excellence and a commitment to contemporary art.
- Who has been working as a professional artist in Arizona for a minimum of four (4) consecutive years.
- Is presently making and exhibiting new work.
- Has demonstrated significant growth in their work over their career; and who will be judged by the work they are currently producing and not just on the work that they have produced in the past.
What is Contemporary Forum?
Contemporary Forum is a support group of Phoenix Art Museum dedicated to contemporary art. Contemporary Forum helps fund acquisitions and exhibitions of contemporary art at the Museum and encourages and assists Arizona artists through Artists’ Grants.
The grants are made possible through the Nathan Cummings Foundation Endowment and funds from Contemporary Forum.
2017 Grant Recipients
- Laura Spalding Best
- Jennifer Day
- Casey Farina
- Christopher Jagmin
2017 Arlene and Morton Scult Contemporary Forum Artist Award Recipient
- Matt Magee
2018 Grant Announcement
Grant Recipients will be notified by May 18, 2018. Awards will be presented to each recipient at the annual Contemporary Forum Awards Presentation at Phoenix Art Museum. Recipients are encouraged to attend the Artists’ Grants event on Wednesday, May 23, 2018.